Welcome to McAlester Public Schools
McAlester Public Schools has a long tradition of excellence, starting with the first high school graduating class in 1903. Our graduates have gone on to achieve significant positions, such as: United States Congress Speaker of the House of Representatives; Governor of Oklahoma; Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice; Five Star General; as well as many renowned alumni in the fields of professional athletics, art, music, business, and education. Following in their footsteps, the graduates of 2018 were awarded over $5 million in scholarships. Of the 100 Oklahoma Academic All Staters selected annually by the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence since 1990, twenty-four have been McAlester High School Seniors.
- In 2010, MHS students celebrated both a State Championship in Girls Basketball and State Runner-Up in Softball.
- "The Pride of McAlester" MHS Marching Band has received eleven State Sweepstakes Awards in the past thirteen years.
- All three MPS Early Childhood Centers have been recognized as Great Expectations Model Schools.
- The average ACT Composite Score for the 2018 MHS graduating class is above both state and national averages.
- Three MPS Teachers have been named finalist in the Oklahoma Teacher of the Year competition since 2006.
- Advanced degrees are held by 26.9% of the MPS faculty.
- Former MPS Superintendent, Dr. Lucy F. Smith, is a member of the Oklahoma Educators Hall of Fame.
- MPS boasts of ten individuals who are members of Oklahoma Coaching Halls of Fame.